How Do I make A Complaint?


Who do I refer to if I have a complaint about the service provided by a conveyancer?

We receive very few complaints about members of the AIC NSW. Those that are received are generally misunderstandings or a lack of communication between the client and the conveyancer. We suggest that as a first step, you talk to your conveyancer about any complaint you have and try to resolve it amicably.

Conveyancers are professionals and should attempt to resolve any reasonable complaints quickly and satisfactorily. If however you are not satisfied then please contact the AIC NSW so we can assist in engaging your conveyancer in a constructive solution.

If we cannot resolve the matter, or if it is of a type that we cannot resolve you can also contact NSW Fair Trading, as the government body which regulates Licensed Conveyancers in NSW.

Please use the following link to NSW Fair Trading - Complaints.

If your conveyance is being handled by a Solicitor rather than a Licensed Conveyancer, then you will need to contact the Law Society NSW to register your complaint.  If you are not sure whether your matter is being handled by a Solicitor or Licensed Conveyancer, please contact the AIC NSW so we can assist in directing your matter to the correct authority.